Postgraduate Courses in Ministry & Theology

The College of the Resurrection offers a taught MA (or PGDip) in Theology, Mission & Ministry (TMM), with the option to follow a Liturgical Studies pathway.

MA in Ministry & Theology

The MA programme permits students to construct a course of study and research to suit their own needs and interests. Students at the College normally complete the master’s degree over two calendar years, although it may be possible to complete it in one year. Academic study and reflective practice are integrated throughout the course. You’ll interact with up-to-date thought and scholarship, bringing them into lively conversation with your growing experience of pastoral ministry on term-time and summer placements.

The course structure
The introductory module, Bible, Theology & Reflection, provides students with an overview of study and research skills in pastoral theology. You will then study 3 taught modules from a catalogue of courses taught by members of our academic staff and external tutors. These modules range from Liturgical Studies to the Letters of Paul, and from options in Systematic Theology to those which are more pastorally focused. Finally, there is a dissertation on a topic of your choice.

The Liturgical Studies pathway
It is possible to follow a pathway within the MA which concentrates on liturgical studies. For further details, see MA in Liturgy.

Teaching & assessment
People learn in different ways and so, in line with best academic practice, we offer a wide range of learning and assessment environments. Learning takes place in lectures, seminars, tutorials, study days and workshops. We have a very advantageous student:staff ratio, which means that classes are generally small and interactive. Students are assessed through essays, presentations, case studies, group projects and theological reflection. There are no examinations. One-to-one tutorial support is offered on all assessed essays.

PGDip in Ministry & Theology

The Postgraduate Diploma in Ministry & Theology follows the same pattern as the MA, but without the dissertation. It normally takes two academic years to complete.

Research degrees for ordinands
In most cases, ordinands who wish to take one of these courses as part of their formation for ordained ministry will need to be sponsored (and funded) by Ministry Division as a potential theological educator. For further information, you should speak with your DDO as well as the College of the Resurrection.

Research degrees for clergy & independent students
If you’re a UK resident in full, or part-time employment, you could choose to study for a research degree on a part-time basis. We also regularly welcome clergy and other Christian ministers who wish to study at postgraduate level during sabbatical leave.

Want to know more?

If you have a specific question or would just like to chat about your options please do call us or contact our academic registrar.